Samsung makes it easy for its 970 EVO Plus users to test the performance of the SSD using its own Magician Software. That said, today after updating the firmware, I was greeted by This device is not supported error in the Magician drive. This is a common error can occur due to many reasons including internet connectivity and firmware updates.
Follow the troubleshooting tips in this article to fix This drive is not supported error in Samsung Magician Drive for Samsung 850, 860, 970 EVO series SSDs.
Fix “This Drive is not Supported Error” Samsung Magician Software
Note: This troubleshooting guide should work with all the consumer-grade Samsung SSDs including 470 Series, 750 Series, 830 Series, 840 Series, 850 Series, 860 Series, 950 Series, 960 Series, and EVO 970 Pro Plus Series.
1. Check your internet connection
- The most common reason for this error is the Magician Software unable to retrieve required information from the internet for the drive due to internet connectivity issues.
- Make sure that your internet connection is working properly. If disconnected, connect your PC to the internet.
- Now open Samsung Magician Drive.
- Click the Refresh icon (top left corner).
- The Magician Drive will now retrieve the required information which may take a few minutes depending on your internet connection speed.
- After a few minutes, the Magician Software should display all the information about the SSD drive and remove “This drive is not supported” error.
2. Use Samsung Data Migration for Cloning
- If you have connected your Samsung SSD to your computer via USB, the Magician Drive will show this drive is not supported error unless the SSD is connected directly to the motherboard internally.
- However, if you want to clone your current hard drive ( Windows installation) to the new Samsung SSD drive, then you need to use the Samsung Data Migration Software, as Samsung Magician tool is only for checking SSD performance and benchmarks.
- Go to Samsung Download center.
- Expand the Data Migration section.
- Click the Download button under “Data Migration Software“.
- Install and run the software and follow the on-screen instructions to clone your hard drive to SSD.
3. Check the Firmware Update
- If the error is occurring after you boot up the system, check if any firmware update is pending.
- Launch the Samsung Magician Software and Firmware Version.
- If you see an Update button, click on it. The software will download the firmware and install.
- Restart the system when prompted and that should fix this drive is not supported error in Samsung Magician software.
Did any of these steps help you to resolve the issue, do let us know in the comments below?
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE: