While importing certain MP4 and MOV files, you may encounter the ‘The file has no audio or video stream’ error in Adobe Premiere Pro. This error can occur due to various reasons, including unsupported file type or missing codecs.
However, irrespective of the reason, you can still fix this error in Windows with some workaround.
In this article, we show you how to fix the file has no audio or video streams error in Adobe Premiere Pro on Windows.
Steps to fix The file has no audio or video streams error
1. Rename the video file MPGE / MOV
The first and simple solutions seem to be changing the video file extensions. I fixed the issue by renaming my MP4 video file to MPEG format. However, you can also try MOV format if changing the extension to MPEG format does not work.
Here is how to do it.
- Open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the folder where the problematic video is saved.
- Right-click on the file and select Rename.
- Rename the file to .MPEG or MOV format. For example, if your file name is samplevideo.MP4, then rename it to samplevideo.MPEG.
- Try importing the renamed video to your Adobe Premiere Pro timeline and check if the issue is resolved.
2. Use Windows Photos app to encode video
If the issue persists, try encoding the video using the built-in Windows 10 Photos app. Trimming and saving the video from the Windows 10 Photos in MP4 format seem to have resolved the issue for many users.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the folder with the video.
- Right-click on the video file and open it with the Photos app.
- In the Photos app, click the Edit and Create option.
- Select Trim from the menu.
- Now you have to trim a few seconds of the video.
- Simply drag the slider a little, and that should be enough.
- Click on Save as (top right corner).
- Enter a name for the file and then click Save.
- Once the file is exported, import it to Adobe Premiere Pro.
- The MP4 file should now import without the file has no audio or video streams error.
3. Install the QuickTime app
If you are experiencing this error particularly with the MOV file, try installing the QuickTime app on Windows to see if that resolves the error.
- Download the latest version of the QuickTime app from the official website.
- Install the QuickTime app.
- Once installed, restart the computer. It is important to restart the computer to apply the changes.
- After the restart, open Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Drag and drop the MOV file with the error and check if the error is resolved.
If the issue persists, try clearing the Adobe Premiere Pro cache database. Here is how to do it.
- Launch Adobe Premiere Pro.
Go to Edit and select Preferences > Media.
- Under Media Cache Database, click the Clean button.
- Click OK.
- After the Database is cleared, restart Adobe Premiere Pro.
The file has no audio or video streams error in Adobe Premiere usually occurs due to incompatible file formats. While the error can be resolve by installing QuickTime or changing the file extension, try other steps listed in this article, if necessary.